Sunday, April 10, 2011

Starter fertilizer application

I decided to apply some starter fertilizer in the backyard. I'm fairly certain that the soil is fine on Nitrogen, but wasn't sure on Phosphorus, and that is an important ingredient for new grass. Without doing a soil test, I'm in the dark, but I decided to take the risk, but only applied about .84 lbs of P. The recommended rate is 1.5 lbs per 1000 sq ft. The backyard is somewhere between 1000 and 1400 sq ft, so it's roughly half of what is recommended.

I ended up using some Pennington Lawn Starter Fertilizer that I had purchased earlier this year.

Pennington Lawn Starter Fertilizer
18% Nitrogen (3.8% slow release)
24% Phosphate
6% Potash
Some rain that's expected tonight should hopefully help work it into the soil. Hopefully it makes the grass happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment