Saturday, April 9, 2011

Grass is germinating

The grass seed that I planted in the backyard on March 20th is finally beginning to germinate - after about 18 days. I was thinking that it might happen later due to the cooler weather we experienced until about the end of March, but apparently that didn't make much difference.

Baby grass.
I never did get around to fertilizing it. I considered doing it today, but decided against it since I was afraid that it might be too much. I fertilized it in the fall and that should be enough Nitrogen for the whole year, but there was no Phosphorus in it. Perhaps I'll do it, but in a smaller dose than the recommended 1.5 lbs per 1000 sq ft. I'm just not sure what to do.

I also mowed today for the first time this year. In the backyard I mowed low at approximately 1.5" to allow the newly planted grass to get more sunlight. I mowed the front yard at about 3". The new grass in the front yard is still looking thin, but I think there has been some improvement. I've been wondering if it might be a good idea to fertilize it with some starter fertilizer since it didn't get much phosphorus last year.

Today, I sprayed Ortho Weed B Gon all over the weeds that have been competing with the new grass in the front yard. The weeds have grown quite happily since I last posted about it. This is my first attempt at addressing them; I think I shouldn't have waited, but we'll see if this works.

Additionally, it is getting to be time to apply a preemergent herbicide for crabgrass; in fact, it is time. According to the Control of Crabgrass in Homelawns Purdue Turfgrass Program publication, the average crabgrass germination date is April 21st in central Indiana and preemergent herbicide should be applied at least 2 weeks before this date. This will be going on my "to do" list for tomorrow. A note to remember for next year from the publication:
Purdue research has shown that these herbicides can be applied as early as March 1 and still be effective all season.
Hopefully I haven't missed the opportunity!

No comments:

Post a Comment