Sunday, April 17, 2011

Backyard grass progress

Well, I figure it's time for an update on the backyard grass project. It seems to be going very slow... and I'm starting to wonder if it's going to succeed. I've been trying to keep the existing grass mowed to about 1.5", mowing every few of days. Here's a shot of what things looks like now:

Close up view. New grass in the middle.

Yard view. Still thin, but new grass is becoming more evident.
I won't be too upset if this project fails. Come fall, I'll just try again, probably killing the existing grass first, but that's getting ahead of things. We'll see how this turns out. What I have found is that it seems to be difficult to grow grass in areas with existing grass. The same thing occurred in the front yard grass project. The seed planted near other grass didn't grow as well or at all. I have also noticed that the grass seems to prefer growing near the straw. My guess is that it's helps keep the area shielded from the sun and more moist.

Earlier this week I got out the hose to water since it was starting to dry up and rain was a few days away. So much work... needless to say, I was quick in calling the irrigation company to come out and turn it back on. They're coming Tuesday, so the new grass'll soon be getting much more frequent waterings, without me having to even think about it! Yay!

1 comment:

  1. You're doing a great job, sweetie! You're very patient with that grass; I definitely would have called in professional help by now if I didn't have you!

    ReplyDelete