Sunday, April 10, 2011

Crabgrass preventer application

I went to multiple stores trying to find a good preemergent crabgrass herbicide that didn't have quick release Nitrogen in it, but I couldn't find one. Ultimately, I ended up purchasing a bag of Endure Crabgrass Preventer Plus:

Endure Crabgrass Preventer Plus
The active ingredient is dithiophyr. It claims to be "extended release fertilizer", but when looking at the Fertilizer Analysis on the back, it listed 19% Urea Nitrogen, only 5.7% of that slow release.

19% Urea Nitrogen (5.7% stabilized/slow release)
3% Potash
It was better than my other options and I needed to apply it as soon as possible, so I went for it.

I only applied it to the front yard since crabgrass hasn't been a problem in the backyard, but also because it would prevent the new grass from germinating along with any crabgrass. The general rule is to never use preemergent herbicides along with seeding. This wasn't a problem for the front yard. I calculated the square footage of the front yard to be roughly 1600 sq ft., and the recommended rate is 3.5lbs/1000 sq ft, so I applied roughly 5lbs of it using a handheld spreader. I'll save the rest for next year, assuming it doesn't expire.

No comments:

Post a Comment