Saturday, May 14, 2011

Tall fescue 3 weeks after Certainty applictaion

It's nearly time for the second application of the Certainty herbicide that I applied a little over 3 weeks ago on the front lawn in hopes of killing the tall fescue "infestation" and it's really starting to show! Over the past few weeks I have noticed that the lawn in general where I applied the herbicide didn't grow much and seemed stressed, Kentucky bluegrass included (the new Kentucky bluegrass that I didn't spray continued growing). The instructions warned that this may happen, but that the Kentucky bluegrass should survive, and the tall fescue - not so much. This week I noticed a definite improvement in overall appearance as the Kentucky bluegrass appeared to start growing again, while the tall fescue continued stunted and generally more thinned out. This is great as it shows that it appears to be working as expected. Here's a photo I took two days ago after a mow:

3 weeks after Certainty herbicide application.
The tall fescue plants are still present and there are even a few that are still growing (perhaps I missed them when spraying), but overall, it's looking very promising. The general color of the yard as a whole is starting to look more uniform:

I have a feeling that large area of tall fescue is going to need a reseeding.

Here's a comparison of the grass color between the old and new Kentucky bluegrass from the above photo:

Fairly similar in color.
Blurred to remove texture and show the colors better.
I'm thinking I'll apply the second application sometime this week, and hopefully after another 3-4 weeks the tall fescue will be history!

No comments:

Post a Comment