Monday, August 29, 2011

What else am I growing??

I have noticed this other "grass" growing in some of the newly seeded areas. In fact, there was some in the picture I posted the other day.


Up until now I have assumed that it was just leftover grass that I missed when I sprayed with RoundUp. But there is quite a bit of it and I couldn't believe that much could have survived what looked so utterly dead. Frankly, I'm a bit upset about it since it looks similar to the grass I was trying to kill in the first place - could it possibly have survived RoundUp?? I wondered. So today I took a closer look to see if perhaps I could ID it and what I found was rather peculiar. Look closely:


See it? How about in this photo of some I pulled up?


That's right, it's the straw. I am also growing straw. It's only growing in the areas where I put down straw.

So what is it really? I'm not total sure. I'm waiting for a call back from the place I purchased it, but it sure looks to me like wheat.

As long as it's not perennial and doesn't produce any more seeds, I don't think it'll be a problem. The odd thing is that I used straw from the same place earlier this year and I don't recall this happening, but perhaps conditions weren't good for germination at that time of the year. Though, I do remember noticing that the seedheads appeared to be void of seeds.

I guess I'll need to find a new source for my future straw needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment