Saturday, August 27, 2011

I could sit and watch the grass grow

I love watching the grass grow. It seems like every day I see more and more of the green fuzz over the lawn. It makes me happy (except in the backyard I'm getting frustrated by some animal that keeps digging up little holes. I'm guessing it is either a robin picking out worms or a squirrel burring nuts, but I haven't caught it in the act yet).

Here's a shot from the front yard that I took this morning:

Dewy Kentucky bluegrass fuzz

There is something about new grass that is so peaceful and pure.

I shutter at the thought of mowing it, mostly because I have to step on it, but the instructions call for mowing once the new blades reach 2 inches. Next step for the overseeded parts of the lawn:
Mow frequently to limit the competition from the established turf. Mow at 1.5 inches until new seedlings have been cut at least two times. After that, raise the mowing height in 1/2 inch intervals over the next three weeks until a normal mowing height of 2.5 to 3.5 inches is reached.
And for the reseeded (renovated) areas:
Mow as soon as the first newly emerging blades reach about 2 inches. Mow Kentucky bluegrass, perennial rye, and fine fescue turf at 1.5 inches and tall fescue turf at 2.0 inches. After the first three to four mowings, adjust your mower to the permanent mowing height which is 3.0 - 3.5 inches for Kentucky bluegrass, perennial rye, and fine fescue and 3.0 - 4.0 inches for tall fescue.
So far I have only mowed the overseeded areas, but I imagine I'll have to mow the other areas soon as well. I had the same feelings last year, but even after walking and mowing over the little grasslings, they seemed to be ok.

2 comments:

  1. Things are looking great! I am starting my own project this week, we are having a rock retaining wall installed on wednesday and all of the tractor work has destroyed our backyard, so I am going to have to reinstall our sprinkler system and then reseed our entire back yard. Where did you get your starter fertilizer and how much did it set you back? Around how much did you buy for how much square footage of yard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a 20 lb bag of Scott's starter fertilizer from Home Depot which was more than I needed for our 2800 sq ft lawn. It wasn't the greatest stuff, though, since it was rather clumpy. Seedsuperstore.com sells some that sounds nice, but it's expensive: https://www.seedsuperstore.com/Fertilizer/default.asp (I haven't tried it, but probably will some day).

    You'll want to apply 1-1.25 lbs. per 1000 sq ft. Use the fertilizer calculator found in the "Links" on the right side of the page to figure out how much you need for your yard.

    ReplyDelete