Saturday, August 13, 2011

Certainty no longer for use on cool season grasses

The Purdue Turf Tips blog had a post this week on Certainty herbicide. Monsanto, the company that makes it, recently changed the label removing uses on cool season grasses. This went into effect in May.

I purchased my bottle in April so it is the "old" version, but I noticed on my last application that the online label had changed. I had printed it out, but couldn't find the directions for Kentucky bluegrass or any cool season grass - the entire section was gone. So, I had to use the instructions that came with the box instead. I thought it strange.

Now, apparently, it's official. The questions and answers on the Purdue blog didn't answer my biggest question: why? And I wonder if it can still "unofficially" be used on cool season grasses? I did a little searching on their website, but couldn't find any additional information.

Since that is no longer an option, I guess that leaves Chlorsulfuron-based products such as Nufarm Corsair (previously owned by Riverdale?) as alternatives.

1 comment:

  1. Certainty probably delisted KGB because there was occasional damage to KGB under stress. Not because it didn't work. Monsanto sells certainty to make money, not chase down claims of damage from their products.

    ReplyDelete