Thursday, August 25, 2011

Well that didn't take long

I couldn't believe my eyes yesterday when I looked closely at the ground in the backyard and found that little blades of young grasslings were sprouting from the soil! Not knowing how long it takes for supina bluegrass to germinate, I just assumed that germinates quickly. However, to my further surprise I discovered that the Kentucky bluegrass in the front yard was germinating as well! It took seven days and perhaps even less than that since I didn't look closely until yesterday. I was expecting a 2-3 week wait!

Curious, I emailed seedsuperstore.com to ask if that was normal and I got this reply back within an hour:
The legal germination time for bluegrass is 28 days. This is the amount of time a seed analyst will wait before taking a germination count.
For spring planting in relatively cold soil, bluegrass can take 3-4 weeks to sprout.
This time of year, with warm soils and warm nights, it is not unusual to see bluegrass sprout in 7-10 days.
Very interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment