Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Backyard grass: eh

Well, I'm just not too impressed with how the backyard grass project has turned out. And that's ok, it was more or less an experiment. But, also I haven't completely given up hope. I have read that fine fescue can be very slow to establish and I have also seen that first hand with the Kentucky bluegrass in the front yard project as it took all of last fall and this spring to become established.

My last update on the backyard grass was April 26th, so looking back you can sort of compare. I think there has definitely been improvement since then. Here are a few photos from today:





And some closeups:

Fine fescue (patches)
Fine fescue thickening up

Kentucky bluegrass? More of this grass.

It looking a lot better where the new seed took, but the problem is that there are many patches where the new seed didn't take at all resulting in completely bare patches. I wonder if one of the reasons that this may have occurred is because we got a lot of heavy rain before the seeds germinated as this may have moved the seeds from the more bare areas. I don't know, but it looks fairly green back there, and that's good enough for me (for now). We'll see if it continues to improve.

No comments:

Post a Comment