Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mole update

Long ago I posted about a mole I was battling with in the backyard. I never ended up taking any action other than stomping down their tunnels which lasted for several days and then on and off for a few weeks after that. It never because a huge problem, thankfully. We have several stray cats that meander around our neighborhood and sometimes I wonder if one of them may have taken care of business - just a guess as I have no idea. I did notice this publication on moles on the Purdue Turfgrass Program publications page that I hadn't seen before. It's an interesting read. In it I learned that moles aren't rodents, and that the most effective way to control them is by using a trap such as a harpoon trap. It also states that most other methods aren't very effective, particularly the electronic "ultrasonic" devices, which it says are completely ineffective. It does say that dogs and cats may also keep them at bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment