Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lawn Fertilized

Yesterday I fertilized the front lawn. According to the Purdue Turfgrass Science Program's Maintenance Calendar for Indiana Lawns, it says under July:
Apply 0.75 lbs. N/1000 ft2.
Fertilize only on irrigated lawns or during summers with above average rainfall and use a product containing slow release N.
I have noticed that the grass has seemed to be yellowing a bit and had more dead blades than usual. We have a had much above average rainfall this spring and summer with over 21" since April with the normal for this period being a little over 12".

I did some shopping around for fertilizer with a good amount of slow release N and finally found a  product with a substantial amount of slow release nitrogen (almost all, in fact):

Endure Premium Lawn Food Plus
24-0-3
22.5% Urea Nitrogen (22.5% stabilized/slow release)
0.15% Ammoniacal Nitrogen (quick release)
1.35% Water Insoluble Nitrogen (slow release)
3% Potash
This is the same brand as the crabgrass preventer I used earlier this year.

I applied roughly 1/4 of the bag, or 5 lbs over the front yard (approximately 1600 sq ft) which equates to roughly .75 lbs N/1000 ft2. This fertilization calculator comes in handy for figuring the desired amount apply. I used a Scotts Edgeguard Mini to apply it and used the lowest setting (2) and made roughly 3 passes across the lawn about 3-5 feet apart going in different directions each time.

Then this morning I irrigated for 25 minutes.

The lawn looks noticeably greener today (probably more due to the watering), but I presume will continue to look better, especially if we get more rain. I don't plan on watering again unless we don't get much rain for an extended period.

No comments:

Post a Comment