Thursday, March 15, 2012

Off to an early start

Prompted by a recent post Get your motor running: Crabgrass control adjustment on the Purdue Turf Tips blog, I put down some preemergent crabgrass herbicide this week on the 13th. The author of the article suggested shifting the management schedule up 7-10 days before normal. They also suggested a way to extend the effect of the herbicide by applying two applications 60 days apart at half the rate of a single application, which they say Purdue research has shown be 20% more effective. They also linked to an interesting site called the GDD Tracker that I don't understand in the slightest, but apparently has various models that predict the optimum timing for various applications, including preemergent crabgrass. It provides a nice map with color coding depicting the various stages. Currently, central Indiana (and most of Indiana now) is in the optimum period for applying the herbicide. So, I did. I applied 2.8lbs of the same Endure Crabgrass Preventer Plus that I used last year.

Side note: OH, I think I forgot to mention that I am now the proud owner of a scale! In case I didn't, well, I did and it's super helpful for measuring the proper amounts of stuff. I actually bought it last year and have used it several times already. Here's a picture:


My new scale
I'll plan on making the second application in 60 days, which will be mid-May.

No comments:

Post a Comment