Thursday, March 15, 2012

I'm kicking myself

I don't think I ever mentioned it, but last year I noticed a some weeds starting to grow in various places in the midst of the front yard grass. Here's a picture from last November that shows it (click on it to view it full-sized):

Weeds last November
Not wanting to harm the new grass I had just grown and thinking that with winter just around the corner the cold would kill it off, I decided to leave it be. Boy did that turn out to be a mistake - it never died!

Weeds this March
They appeared to be growing and even flowering in some cases, so I decided to spray them. On Tuesday (3/13), I walked the entire lawn and sprayed every weed I came across with Ortho Weed B Gon (it was all over the place!). I haven't noticed for sure yet if it has been effective or not, but I hope it dies soon and doesn't hinder the grass it's invading (that will soon be greening up). We'll see.

Also surviving the winter and starting to grow again:

Happy wheat

Yep, the wheat that I unknowingly planted last year via the straw that I used. I guess I'll have to pull these buggers up by hand (or learn how to make our own bread, one of the two)...

No comments:

Post a Comment