Wednesday, March 14, 2012

"Dormant" seeding again...

So, on somewhat of a whim a few weeks ago (March 5) I decided to put down some seed in the backyard - much like last year, only 2 weeks earlier, but ironically it's much warmer, so there's nothing dormant about it. Go figure.

I purchased the same seed as last year: SS6000 shade mix from SeedSuperStore.com, a 80% mix of 4 varieties of fine fescues (although 2 varieties are different from the batch I got last year) and 20% Bewitched Kentucky Bluegrass.

19.96% Predator Hard Fescue
19.66% Zodiac Chewings Fescue
19.80% Garnet Creeping Red Fescue
19.85% Bewitched Kentucky Bluegrass
19.80% Intrigue2 Chewings Fescue
Unfortunately, I really didn't give the grass I planted last year much of a chance when I destroyed it with the overseeder last fall... but let's try to forget about that. New beginnings... again.

As soon as the seed arrived, I put it down. I didn't do any soil preparation hoping for some more below freezing temps to help expand and contract the soil and allow the seed get deeper into the ground. Yeah, I think there have been two nights of below freezing temps since then. One of which was the first night (one of the reasons that I wanted to get it down so quickly):

Seed on frozen ground the next morning
Otherwise it's been too warm for even below freezing nights, so due to rain in the forecast I decided to help work the seed in the ground in places where I could do so without harming the existing grass. I went to Lowes and purchased a hand tiller and tilled almost the whole lawn by hand. It took me over an hour, but I felt like I could sleep better knowing that the rain wouldn't wash or displace the seeds away as easily and it appears to have worked (granted the rain wasn't terribly heavy). It also should help the seed to germinate better (that was one of my mistakes last spring, not working the seed into the top layer of soil).

I then used the rest of the GreenView Grass Seed Accelerator that I leftover from the 2010 front yard project, but it wasn't enough so I picked some more up and put most of it down as well. This should also help with germination and hopefully help deter erosion (probably not as effectively as straw, though).

So far, I don't see any seeds germinating. I wouldn't expect it so soon anyway, but with the warm weather we've been having I wouldn't be surprised to see it either. This is how the backyard is looking as of yesterday:







And just for the record and comparison (because I think that the Poa Supina has already started greening up), these shots were from a few weeks earlier (February 27th):







Other than the small amount of fertilizer that is in the mulch, I haven't put down any starter fertilizer. I have some in the garage. Should I put some down??

No comments:

Post a Comment