Monday, June 10, 2013

Rose bush updates

I've got 3 issues with the rose bushes this year, so I'll address them each separately.

Aphids

The new rose bush intruder of 2013: aphids. I sprayed them a few times and haven't seen them since. Yay! 

Bristly Rose Slugs

Without fail, I spotted some leaf damage on both rose bushes (forget exactly when this was, sometime since May 15th, I guess); turned over the leaves to find my little wormy "friends" munching away. This year I didn't delay in spraying them with insecticidal soap. I did this a few times, and so far it seems to have worked very effectively as I haven't noticed any new damage. Seems that the key is to spray quickly as possible with these buggers!

Black Spot Disease

This is biggest question mark of this post. Last year I went and purchased some fungicide to treat the black spot disease on the hybrid tea rose bush. 

Daconil Fungicide


 I brought it home only to find that it should apparently be applied in the spring, at least I think that's what it's saying. The directions are horrible. Not only does it not say how to spray it on the plant or even what to spray (I assume they mean to spray the infected leaves?), but they give specific cryptic directions for rose bushes for the first application: "spring bud break". Um, what?

Spring bud break?
In any case, there is one flower in bloom right now (more buds on the way!), it's kind of spring - ok maybe a little late, but the black spot was spreading so a week or so ago I decided to just spray the infected leaves and see what happened. As far as I know nothing has really changed, but it doesn't seem like it has spread anymore either. I'm still monitoring, but this is what some of the leaves looked like as of a few days ago:




Hopefully it works because last year by the end of the season it hardly had any leaves left since they were all infected. It'd be nice to eradicate it for good somehow. I wish the instructions on the fungicide were better. I have no idea if I need to reapply or when or how or where.

No comments:

Post a Comment