Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Do I pull in vain?

I just can't believe the amount of tall fescue I am finding (also some orchardgrass, but less than my last round of pulling) - I pulled all of this up last year, multiple times (and also supposedly "killed" with the selective herbicide). Or so I thought. I must be missing something.

Am I pulling it up improperly? My technique has been something like this: using a hand weeder and a piece of wood for leverage (when I first started, I was using my other hand for leverage and my finger went numb for several months after - not good), find the base of the bunch of grass and stick it down into the soil as far as possible below the roots and using the leverage push down so that pushes the bunch up from below.

My grass pulling tools
I try to get as much of the roots as possible, but this is sometimes difficult especially with the larger clumps. I must be missing some roots... It amazes me that a plant can come back over and over again after so much torture. Impressive!

Yesterday I decided to be more aggressive and less concerned about collateral damage. This has been my weakness. If the undesirable grass is intermingled with the precious Kentucky bluegrass, I try to separate the two and keep as much Kentucky bluegrass in tact as possible (often replanting it). This has probably left roots of the undesirable plant behind. But not anymore. I now throw it all out, good along with the bad.

Another thing I have done in the past is to try to put the soil back that came up with the roots. To do this I would shake at it and try to loosen it with the end of the weeder. This may also have allowed the roots back into the soil. But no more!

We'll see if these changes help, but at some point, if it just keeps coming back, I'm going to give up on pulling (as therapeutic as it can be sometimes). The areas that don't have any tall fescue this year are the areas that I sprayed with Roundup last year...

No comments:

Post a Comment