Friday, September 2, 2011

Bluegrass grows so slooooow

I've been waiting and waiting for the grass to grow to 2" to finally mow it, but it's taking forever! Or, perhaps I'm just impatient, or maybe it's because I check on the grass at least once a day. In any case, I think it is getting closer and in fact, I did mow some of it this week on Wednesday. Interestingly, this is the area I put down a disproportionate amount of fertilizer:

After first mowing of new grass @ 1.5" one week after germination.

The other areas of the front yard and backyard are still growing, but not as quickly and aren't quite to 2". Perhaps this weekend the rest will get it's first mowing.

The squirrels are driving my nuts in the backyard. They must have buried over 30 nuts back there and that's being very conservative. They dig up the tender grass in the process, so hopefully, there aren't a bunch of bare patches as a result, but that's the least of my concerns back there.

Oh, and the wheat is still growing well, too!

3 comments:

  1. At least the squirrels will have their nuts and you will have a wheat field to get you through the winter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! True!

    How's your project coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, we just had a rock wall installed in our backyard and I thought we were going to be able to salvage our sprinkler system, but that wasn't the case so we have spent the last two weeks installing a new sprinkler system in our backyard...fun (not really, I think its a sick joke that I am paying so much just to have a green lawn... but oh well). But we finally finished the sprinklers and seeded half of the backyard. The other half we were going to seed, but the power company has a transformer in our backyard that was all rusty, and in my zeal to have every aspect of the yard looking nice, I gave them a call to see if they would come and paint it. When they came to look at it, they noticed it was broken, so they have to come in and replace it with a tractor, so the guy suggested we wait on seeding that half. Hopefully after wednesday when they come and finish that work, we will be able to seed the rest of the yard and have nice grass growing before it gets too cold. When we seeded an area of our yard last fall, it came up really sparsely in the fall, and in the spring it just exploded and became really thick and nice. Its ironic that the tractors tore a good piece of that grass up getting into the backyard, but hopefully it will grow back nicely next year. My front yard has kind of been neglected as of late because of all the work in the back, but hopefully some concerted effort now will prepare me for a good start in the spring.

    ReplyDelete