Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Death to bristly rose slugs

Sometimes a gardener must go to war in order to protect his plants. I know that bristly rose slugs don't deserve to die, however, neither do our rose bushes, so one or the other must go: bristly rose slug or rose bush? Hm. The next day after my post I went on a hunt for as many slugs as I could find on the plant and surprisingly I only found about 5 on one and not one on the other. I'm thinking that I may have had some help from the birds as I noticed a few small feathers in one of them - more power to them! I hope they enjoyed a tasty treat, because I didn't get much enjoyment out of squishing them, except that they won't be doing any more damage to the helpless rose bushes any more. I think this little pest problem is solved for now, so I guess I don't need to try the flour approach - oh well, maybe next time. I'll certainly be keeping a close eye on them, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment