Saturday, June 8, 2013

Front lawn update

The front lawn is really doing great. I've very satisfied with it and feel great about all the work I've put into it over the last few years.

Here are some photos:





Today I transplanted some grass growing into of the garden beds to some small bare spots in the lawn.

My one last (for now) issue is the patches of mysterious evil grass #3 (#1 being orchardgrass, #2 being tall fescue). You can see them clearly in the following photos as the lighter green patches:



I don't have an ID on this grass yet, but one possibility is creeping bentgrass. I took some closer photos last year.

I was thinking that I'd just spray it with Roundup and replant this fall. However, I was doing some searching and if it is in fact creeping bentgrass, I found that there is a selective herbicide (active ingredient mesotrione) that supposedly will kill it without harming kentucky bluegrass (among other turf grasses)! One product based on it is called Tenacity which it seems people are having good results with for killing bentgrass. But it also kills a number of other weeds including crabgrass! It's rather expensive (about $75 for an 8 oz bottle of concentrate) as these chemicals seem to be, however, if that means I wouldn't need to do pre-emergent crabgrass prevention every year, it could be just as cost effective if not cheaper to go this route.

However, I'm getting ahead of myself. The first step is to ID it. This is not my forte, but I'll try my best. Here's some information I found on how to ID it. I'll report back.

No comments:

Post a Comment