Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Changes

Well, life happens and things change and what has changed the most as of late is my amount of free time, which has dwindled down to nearly nothing after the birth of our precious son - it's a wonderful change! What this means for this blog, for anyone who actually still follows it, is that my posts will be few and far between and likely sparse in content. I'm planning to continue trying to post things that I do for my records, but the story-like format will likely cease. We'll see what happens, but I'm already behind as it is.

As it stands right now, we finally got our irrigation system fixed and turned on today, which is good because it has been quite dry lately and the grass was starting to show the stress (footprints stay after walking on it)!

Backyard is doing great and still going strong after fertilizing it a few weeks ago. It's also liking the water I gave it today. The backyard is my new pride and joy - it's simply amazing how much it has filled in so quickly. The supina bluegrass seems to be doing great, and it's so soft to walk on. I love it.

The front yard - not good. The rust just took over and infested the new grass and much of it has died. My hope is that it might spring back, but I don't give it very good odds of that happening. We'll see. I sprayed the rust and powdery mildew with some fungicide today - I hate doing that, but it's that or I watch more of the lawn get killed off. I'll hopefully have a post on this as well. It will have some sad photos. I should have paid more attention to this line in the Purdue leaf rust publication:
On newly seeded stands, apply fungicides at the first sign of disease.
Live and learn...

2 comments:

  1. I am curious how your Certainty tall fescue job turned out. I have the same issue I have been battling for 2 years. This TF 31 just won't die. Any tips? I hit it once already and plan on hitting it again in three weeks. I may hit it a 3rd and 4th time this year if need be. I am spot spraying since it stands out so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello!
    I'm now about 100% free of tall fescue (and orchard grass). The Certainty did a decent job on the tall fescue, but didn't kill the orchard grass. I pulled what was left last fall and earlier this spring and have been happy to see it not come back. I'd definitely recommend the second application. If it's in isolated clumps you could carefully spray it with a non-selective herbicide if all else fails (and perhaps reseed this fall). I feel your pain :)

    ReplyDelete