Wednesday, October 12, 2011

What's this?

I noticed some yellowing areas of grass after mowing yesterday and upon closer inspection of the blades, this is what I found:

Kentucky bluegrass blade with disease

Kentucky bluegrass blade with disease

General appearance of grass

What is it? I don't know. I've been doing some research online and reading the Purdue publications on various diseases, but I'm still not sure. It looks like it could be either leaf spot or leaf rust disease. I can test to see if it's rust by seeing if it rubs off easily. I'll test for that when I get a chance. I could see it being leaf spot going by this description from the Purdue publication on the disease:
Leaf spot (caused by Drechslera poae) is a summer disease that requires long dew periods, warm evening temperatures, and ample precipitation to establish and spread. Close mowing can aggravate disease outbreaks by increasing stress on plants and allowing spores greater access to crowns and roots.
I have been mowing closely for several weeks since planting and have irrigated frequently (not so much any more). It also appears that only the old grass is infected, which also gives credence to the theory since the newer varieties are likely more resistant. I'll keep an eye on it, but I sure hope it doesn't get worse - that would make me sad...

1 comment:

  1. Thats really too bad... It seems like you just can't win! Our project is finishing up nicely, I'll have to send you some pictures. I didn't do nearly as much research as you did, I just went and bought a contractor pack of seed from home depot that had a high proportion of kentucky blue grass seed and used that and in about 7 days I had a good portion of the seeds germinate. It is filling in really nicely now, and I am hoping by the beginning of next spring it will really take off and we will have a usable back yard.

    Good luck with the grass!

    ReplyDelete